- China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese. President Charles de Gaulle
- This is a great day for France! President Richard Nixon, while attending Charles De Gaulle’s funeral
- Things are more like they are now than they have ever been. President Gerald Ford
- Capital punishment is our society’s recognition of the sanctity of human life. Orrin Hatch, Senator from Utah, explaining his support of the death penalty
- My fellow astronauts… Vice-President Dan Quayle, beginning a speech at an Apollo 11 anniversary celebration
- Outside of the killings, Washington D.C. has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Mayor Marion Barry, Washington D.C.
- We found the term ‘killing’ too broad. State Department spokesperson on why the word ‘killing’ was replaced with ‘unlawful or arbitrary deprivation of life’ in its human rights reports for 1984-5
- The exports include thumbscrews and cattle prods, just routine items for the police. U.S. Commerce Department spokesman on a regulation allowing the export of various products abroad